Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Secret

When I had my second child, I felt like I lost my mind! Now I am being completely honest with you....It felt like my whole life was turned upside down. My first born was almost 5 years old when I gave birth again. I was so out of the whole diaper bag, car seat carrier, change of clothes needed at all times mode! I remember being so overwhelmed and crazed!

No one rarely speaks of this, these feeling of inadequate and helplessness because mother are supposed to be selfless angels. I was so beside myself in my own mind, very stressed out. I now can see that yes, maybe I did experience some kind of post pardon depression, but at the time, I had no idea.

I was an avid sewing, crafter and whatever struck my fancy. I used to design my own clothes, changing patterns and using pieces of this one with that. I would even make up my own patterns too! After my second child was born....it's been 10 years since I have sewn!!!!!! I am telling you- something happened to my brain! I didn't have the patience to figure out measurements, or the time to even sit and sew. It was a passion of mine that I had done for about 8 or 9 years, but I had to let it go. The thing is, I didn't even feel bad about it, I had changed, but it did puzzle me! I remember the exact time I realized this, I was sitting at my machine, I heard the kids screaming about something? I just got up, I said in mind, I can't do this and I never went back to it!!!!!!

Slowly, I have tried to get my shit together, but still feel like I am not fully the same person since I had my second child. My husband had wanted a third child, and has never really let it go. As recently as this spring he was still asking about having a baby! I could never agree to it though, I feel like I have my hands full as it is!

7 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger for_the_lonely said...

I wish that I knew how to sew..all I can do is make things by hand! As for a 3rd baby...whew! I am sure that two is enough! Or is it eight is enough? Hmmmm...LOL.

Love you,
Sarah

 
At 7:40 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Karen said...

having kids can change every aspect of your life and usually does.
the whole "putting your life on the back burner" thing is real.
we all do it.
our kids needs and wants come before our own and before you know it, the things we used to enjoy are now collecting dust in a closet somewhere.
my solution is to tell them that you need Mommy time--go sew, read, craft, whatever you enjoy. take a bit of time to yourself and remind your husband to do the same.
It really makes your whole outlook happier because you feel like you have a little of your life back.
try it and see if it helps.
hugs,
Karen

 
At 1:24 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Margaret said...

hugs to you...

peace...

 
At 10:50 AM, September 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I had the kids, I didn't have to give up anything, as I really didn't have a hobbie... I worked, I came home and spent time with my family, that was my exciting life. I can't even say I gave up work, because I found a job(s) that I could take my kid(s) with me so that I would be bringing in some income.

It is hard to have another baby, especially so many years apart, because you are starting all over. We seriously have weighed the pros and cons of having a 6th child, but are right in the middle... I think if it happens, it happens... If it doesn't, it's not meant to be! But it would mean almost 4 years between Hero {will be 3 in Nov} and a new baby, we would be starting all over again...

 
At 12:19 PM, September 22, 2005, Blogger A Flowered Purse said...

I can relate soooooo much, mine are spaced 14, 11 and 3 it was like a shock and its just hard. So glad you shared your feelings, i think we all have them.
I am jealous you know how to sew! I wish someone would teach me!
Love
dianna

 
At 12:01 AM, September 24, 2005, Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

Gosh I'm with you. I love love love Chloe but if I knew then what I know now.. well Sarah'd have been an Only for sure!

2's more'n enough for me!

Hugs

Julie

 
At 5:37 PM, September 29, 2005, Blogger Yoda said...

When our first child was born, I gave up my three times a week of playing golf. Once the three children were in their mid-twenties, I took the game back up. I don't regret giving up golf. The children are the best part of my life. Please note I did not write the 'easiest' part of my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home