Wednesday, September 14, 2005

An Essential Piece

A few weeks ago before school started I took Calla over to her new school so she could decorate and get her locker organized. We had a hard time even getting the thing opened, but finally was able to with the help of a teacher!!!!!!

While she was putting in her locker shelves and putting up her pictures on the inside door, I started talking to her about her decision to quit chorus. Now the girl has been in NY State's Solo Festival plus All County Mixed Chorus, it is her "thing" So this new school has 80 minutes blocks for each session, so that only leaves a choice of two electives. One being her Spanish, and one Chorus. She wanted to drop chorus and take child development. I was pretty much against dropping chorus, and when I told her, your father and I have discussed this and think you should just stay with chorus this year, you'll have plenty of time to take child development in the future. She got upset with me, and said, It's MY decision!!! I tried to explain to her, no we are the parents and it is not up to you!!!!!! Now this is going on in the hallway, while we were at her locker! All of a sudden the Vice Principal came out of a room (he had heard the whole thing!)
he asked her, is everything alright here? We don't like grouches!!!! I'm going to be keeping my eye on you!!!! I laughed and told him the situation! He agreed with me, and told her about how great the music teacher is at the Ninth Grade Academy. She stayed with chorus and is thrilled, she loves her teacher!!!

So now, she tells me the VP has started a bet with her, everytime he see's her she must smile at him or she owes him a dollar!!! He gave her a pencil today that said, An Essential Piece on it! If she owes him nothing by the end of the school year, he will owe her a sub sandwich!!!

This makes me soooo happy to know that he has connected with her!!!! Her friends say, "here comes your boyfriend, you better smile!!!"

5 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger author said...

sometimes parents do know best,
pity she wont fully realize that
until she is one.

glad it worked out for all of you.

nice blog... I'll be back !

 
At 8:07 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger for_the_lonely said...

LOL!!! Excellent! It sounds like he will keep her on her toes! I think that is what she needs! An extra set of adult eyes! :)

Love you,
Sarah

 
At 8:34 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Julie Julie Bo Boolie said...

People like that give me faith for the future.

Good on you for sticking to your guns! She'll thank you for it later!

Hugs

Julie

 
At 9:21 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger SassyFemme said...

That's really cool. I love when administrators actually take an interest in the GOOD kids, not just the bad ones.

 
At 7:25 AM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Karen said...

that's great !
I agree with Sassy--it is so nice to see them take an interest in the good kids too.
hugs,
Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home